How to Factory reset Netgear Router?
You required a factory reset option in case you forget your login username and password or you can’t access the router login page due to any reason. If you are unable to access your Netgear nighthawk and other models using routerlogin.net URL and not sure what IP address changed then you have only one way is reset router to factory default mode. The fast way to unlock router access if can’t access the Netgear router login page or Netgear router forgot security questions to recover login password.
There are two ways to restore the router into factory mode is soft reset and hard reset. Soft reset method required to login router web interface and hard reset router is a physical process that does not require any login. Reset method requirements depend on the situation you faced. If your router misbehaving or internet connect disconnection issue but you able to login router settings then a soft reset is the way to fix the issue. But if you locked out and not remember the login password or recovery detail forget then the only way is hard reset it. Follow the restore NetGear wireless router using both methods step by step.
Factory reset Netgear from the Web interface
Resetting from the web interface is a soft reset process that needs to access the router settings page after authenticating the login page. There are few simple steps to reset the Netgear router from the software if you facing any problem with your current configurations.
Steps to soft reset router
- Connect your router either using a wireless or wired connection from LAN port to PC/Laptop LAN port.
- Make sure your PC/Laptop TCP/IPv4 settings in DHCP mode or static IP of Netgear default series.
- Fine default Login IP address, username, and password printed to the sticker of your router for the first time or use settings same if already changed.
- Open Web browser and access “http://routerlogin.net” or http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1.
- After a few seconds, you will get a router page asking for a username and password. Provide login settings as per your router settings.
- Go to Maintenance- Backup Settings
- Backup- Download configuration settings backup before making the reset router to restore after factory reset router to save configuration time.
- Erase- revert to default settings – press the Erase button and confirm on the next pop-up window
After making settings to default mode, your router will reboot and taking a few minutes to restore and ping with default login IP as printed to router sticker.
Follow steps to access your Netgear router and restore configuration backup if you have a backup before reset. The next way to reset is hard reset using the reset button if you completely lockout out due to forgetting the login password and recovery option not configured.
How to Reset Netgear Router Using the Reset button
The hard reset button helps you to gain router settings access if you changed the default password and forget or you may not set the password recovery option and complete lockout. Making router reset using a tiny switch will restore settings into factory mode.
There are few steps to reset the Netgear router using the reset switch that mostly available in all Netgear brands.
- Locate a small reset button beside the Ethernet port.
- Use a needle or paper clip to press the reset button.
- Press and hold the reset button for 10-15 seconds and release when the router led blink quickly.
- Netgear Power and Ethernet LEDs will turn off and turn on quickly and the router reboot automatically.
- This reset process may take 3-4 minutes until the router restores to default mode so keep calm and wait.
One router restores successfully check the login IP address and access router. Method of making a factory reset Netgear nighthawk router series and Netgear Genie series is the same so if you have any router model from Netgear you can use this reset guide.